For promoting critical thinking, formulating and answering questions, giving and receiving feedback
- Outside of class, students reflect on course content from a previously covered learning activity (lecture, reading, film etc),then formulate and write an essay question.
- Students must also compose the answer for that essay question.
- Randomly pair students and ask them to exchange essay questions (not answers).
- Provide 20 minutes for each student to answer their partner’s essay question (open or closed book).
- Partners then read, compare and discuss first for one essay question and then the other, paying attention to similar and dissimilar ideas.