About this Studio
LOOK! DOODLE! DRAW! Use visuals for engagement, learning, remembering, and meaning making offline and online. Focus on visual facilitation. Focus on liberating the simple sketch, without the internal censor! See how both paper, pen and digital tools can enhance learning and increase engagement!
- Paired Drawing (http://www.fullcirc.com/2013/03/19/simple-codrawing-exercise/) or Lynda Barry’s Drawing Monsters Activity (See and https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/syllabus and http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for-friday-may-8-2015-1.3065520/cartoonist-lynda-barry-dares-you-to-draw-like-a-kid-1.3065525 )
- Debrief in small groups.
- Briefly review the Seven Visualization Types http://demo.elearninglab.org/mod/page/view.php?id=38 and do paired conversations on possibilities in the classroom.
Do one or more of the challenges below and upload your results someplace online and share the link on to the UdGAgora site. Hashtag #AgoraUdG and #visualfacilitation on any artifact.
The Tools and Resources
- Visual Learning: Visual Literacy: An E-Learning Tutorial on Visualization for Communication, Engineering and Business http://www.visual-literacy.org/ – the people who gave us the Periodic Table of Visualizations http://www.visual-literacy.org/periodic_table/periodic_table.html# A brilliant example of the integration of visuals in a course by Beck Tench http://tinyletter.com/prof10ch/archive
- Dave Gray’s Visual Thinking School http://xplaner.com/visual-thinking-school/
- Visual Icebreakers: https://johnleskodotbiz.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/a-better-icebreaker/
- Visual Facilitation Approaches: Jennifer Hammond Landau http://demo.elearninglab.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=63
- Digital Facilitation http://digitalfacilitation.net/
- Way more links than you’d want: http://onlinefacilitation.wikispaces.com/Visual+Work+and+Thinking
- Why sometimes using a pen and paper is useful http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-using-pen-and-paper-not-laptops-boosts-memory-writing-notes-helps-recall-concepts-ability-268770
- See the section on this page on visualization tools https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aEEFN1mCJg8o4-1r50mJfEuMTa6hxD4OL_gQHhnqNbk/mobilebasic?pli=1#id.r5qedjl9r9pc
- Visual Facilitation http://www.fullcirc.com/2014/01/13/getting-ready-for-graphic-facilitation-at-ilos-turin-training-centre/
- Studios as learning spaces http://www.pedagogyunbound.com/tips-index/2014/8/6/use-studio-pedagogy-to-help-students-see
- The most common visual mistakes http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/most-common-visual-content-mistakes/
- The iPad tips we made for the Agora http://udg.theagoraonline.net/how/technology/ipad-tips/ – It was pretty simple to make them!
- A visual on the role of multimedia and memory. http://www.onlinecoursereport.com/mental-hacks-better-learner/
- Really into graphic design? An open textbook on Graphic Design http://solr.bccampus.ca:8001/bcc/items/45f9a8a1-5901-4b32-87ae-b4f5c2aa99ef/1/
- Web based storyboard generator http://www.storyboardthat.com/
- Visuals as teaching tools http://www.thelandscapeoflearning.com/2011/12/how-to-use-visuals-as-teaching-tools.html
- Some examples from the 2015 UDAgora here.
- Some cartoons for health education from Mexico and here, and here.
- Simon Fraser Universities Visual work http://edmedia.tlc.sfu.ca/tag/visual/
- An example of a physics doodle: http://edmedia.tlc.sfu.ca/physics-doodles-video-and-gif/
- A computing science example http://edmedia.tlc.sfu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cascading2.mp4 and http://edmedia.tlc.sfu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/creatingBoard.mp4
- A great example of the power of visuals – in this case, with animation http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-whats-warming-the-world/
- Plant science http://www.plantingscience.org/index.php?module=content&func=view&pid=118
- Yes, you can draw together online. Read a story http://www.fullcirc.com/2008/01/22/reflections-on-our-drawing-together-session/
- Nick Sousanis’ Grids and Gestures” work http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/sane/vol2/iss1/8/
- Look at Beck Tench‘s slide decks… notice anything different from yours? http://www.slideshare.net/btench
- Paper 53 https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/paper-by-fiftythree/id506003812?mt=8
- Baiboard https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baiboard-collaborative-whiteboard/id490534358?mt=8
- Educreations https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/educreations-interactive-whiteboard/id478617061?mt=8
- Forge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forge-build-your-ideas-collect./id1021428095
- How do we use visuals to make meaning?
- Make a visual to support your teaching and learning activities
- Visual Metaphors. Or not?
- Storyboard a Class
- The Wrap-Up – On your ipad or on your sketchpad, draw a quick picture of either a key insight from the studio or a drawing of how you feel at this very moment (smile, frown, neutral). For inspirations on how to easily and quickly draw faces, see this quick video from Austin Kleon. Tweet your image with #udgagora and #visualfacilitation BEFORE you leave the studio!